Protect sensitive data with the right balance of AppSec tools and services
Using the right AppSec tools and services throughout the software development lifecycle can help you properly secure your sensitive data.
One of the primary responsibilities of an CISO is to protect their company’s digital assets, and complying with current and emerging data privacy laws is crucial. Organizations should ensure that their corporate intellectual property and user data (for example, customer, employee, contractor, and / or prospect data) is safe from cyber attacks and breaches of data.
CISOs should work with their colleagues in the areas of data protection, privacy, IT infrastructure, compliance, and software and systems development to ensure compliance with privacy laws Datas.
As cyber attackers become more sophisticated in their attacks, organizations must secure entire systems of systems, the software supply chain, and software development workflows. It is essential to define and create the design, workflows and processes that keep software and systems secure. Key stakeholders in system architecture, security, software development, and IT infrastructure should work closely together to perform a comprehensive architecture analysis, threat modeling, and overall system assessment.
Best practices for securing software development and DevSecOps workflows include secret management, automated AppSec tools for industry security standard compliance and sensitive data detection, threat modeling, penetration testing Business logic manuals and custom intelligent orchestration and correlation of AppSec tools and services.
As data privacy laws and requirements change over time, information considered sensitive may also change. Organizations need to perform comprehensive data discovery and classification, and know where the data resides, so they can easily find it when laws change. Organizations should also use AppSec tools that are flexible and able to identify multiple types of sensitive data in source code, binaries, and all associated files such as HTML files, readme files, firmware, and containers. In addition, security and DevOps managers should use dynamic IAST tools that allow users to flag user-defined types of sensitive data and automatically detect and track whenever that exposed data is exposed in an environment. log, database, or file.
The Synopsys AppSec portfolio
Synopsys Software Integrity Group offers a broad portfolio of software security services and application security tools that help development teams identify and remediate security weaknesses and vulnerabilities throughout the application lifecycle. Enterprises can use Synopsys industry-leading application security tools themselves or supplement their security and development resources with Synopsys managed services or security program consulting.
Synopsys architecture and design practice helps organizations identify missing or weak security controls, understand secure design best practices, and mitigate security vulnerabilities that increase the risk of breach. Security services include security control design analysis, threat modeling, and architecture risk analysis. Synopsys also offers a Malicious Code Detection (CDM) service as well as security programs (e.g. Building Security In Maturity Model [BSIMM] and maturity action plan [MAP]) that allow organizations to define, create and manage their own software security initiatives (SSI).
Synopsys provides continuous access to security testing experts with the skills, tools and discipline to profitably analyze any application, at any depth, at any time. Managed Security Testing Services Include Penetration Testing, Dynamic Application Security Testing, Static Application Security Testing, Mobile Application Security Testing, Network Penetration Testing, Red Team , IoT and embedded software testing, and heavy client testing.
A modern approach to DevSecOps: orchestration and correlation solutions
Code Dx: a continuous overview of your most critical security risks
Synopsys Code DX Application Security Orchestration and Correlation (ASOC) solution automatically aggregates, normalizes, correlates and deduplicates security results from over 85 tools to provide a single, central, and prioritized view of security risks the most serious that exist in software projects of organizations. Code Dx can automatically run Synopsys AppSec tools as well as third-party tools (SAST, DAST, SCA, IAST, bug bounty, network vulnerability scan, container security, and manual code review). The results are prioritized based on a set of customizable rules and artificial intelligence, filtering out noise and false positives and revealing the most critical issues that need to be addressed first. Tickets are automatically opened in bug tracking tools such as Jira, and remediation tips and training are provided to developers. All tests performed, problem resolution and history are tracked in a comprehensive recording system for audit purposes.
Intelligent orchestration for development at the speed of DevOps
Synopsys Intelligent Orchestration solution enables teams to integrate application security analysis into their DevOps pipelines while maintaining development speed. Intelligent Orchestration supports Synopsys AppSec tools (for example, Coverity® SAST, Black Duck® SCA, Tinfoil ™ DAST, and Seeker® IAST) as well as managed services (for example, threat modeling, penetration testing) and third-party tools (eg, AppSec, GRC, and dashboard systems). It automatically performs the right security tests at the right time based on user defined policies, risk profiles and severity / context specific code changes that are defined in advance by the user. Risk-based vulnerability and weakness reports ensure that developers only need to resolve the most important issues they are tasked with solving, all in issue tracking tools, developer tools, and more. the notification channels they normally use. Callbacks to perform manual testing such as threat modeling, manual code reviews, or penetration testing can also be automated based on policies. Developers can integrate security analysis and results seamlessly into their existing development tools and platforms. Application Security Testing (AST) analysis metrics help identify gaps so development managers can understand the effectiveness of their AST and DevSecOps implementation.
A complete suite of AppSec testing tools through the SDLC
Synopsys Application Security Tools have been recognized as leaders in industry analyst reports, such as the Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security Testing, The Forrester Wave ™: Static Application Security Testing (Q1 2021) and The Forrester Wave ™: Software Composition Analysis (Q1 2021). Synopsys products and services help development and security teams create secure, high-quality software faster.
- SAST cover. Coverity helps developers find and fix security flaws early on in SDLC, with support for 21 languages and over 70 frameworks and template engines. Coverity has security auditors that identify hard-coded credentials, sensitive data leaks, and unencrypted and inadequate encryption to ensure compliance with OWASP Top 10 (web and mobile), CWE Top 25, PCI DSS and other standards, as well as verifiers for all the latest data protection measures.
- SCA black duck. Black Duck helps teams manage the security, quality, and license compliance risks that arise from using open source and third-party code in the applications and containers of their software supply chain. Black Duck Binary Analysis analyzes binaries and all associated files (e.g. HTML files, readme files), firmware, and containers, and displays information leaked data such as forgotten developer credentials , AWS keys, IP addresses, and clear text passwords.
- IAST researcher. Seeker helps development, QA, and security teams automate application security testing and identify trends of vulnerability and weakness against compliance standards (e.g. OWASP Top 10, PCI DSS, CAPEC and CWE / SANS Top 25). Seeker actively verifies that the identified weaknesses and vulnerabilities are exploitable. It uses patented technology that can reduce false positives to near zero. And its unique sensitive data tracking feature automatically detects when user-designated sensitive data is exposed in logs, databases or files.
- Aluminum foil web scanner. Tinfoil Web Scanner dynamically checks over 70 classifications of weaknesses and vulnerabilities, including the Top 10 OWASP. It scans all facets of your site, connecting to any website, including SAML / SSO authenticated sites. Its sensitive data content checkers look for credit card number disclosure, source code repository disclosure, private IP address disclosure, email address disclosure (if an email address is recoverable by robots) and social security number disclosure.
- Aluminum foil API scanner. Tinfoil API Scanner detects weaknesses and vulnerabilities of any RESTful API, commonly used in modern apps and websites, including mobile and IoT-connected apps. Tinfoil API Scanner also supports GraphQL APIs, scanning for vulnerabilities specific to GraphQL. It emphasizes the context of API authentication and more. Unlike other tools which serve more as a defensive protection mechanism, Tinfoil API Scanner allows you to perform proactive and intelligent fuzzing of your APIs.
Learn more about Synopsys Software Integrity Group solutions