Age of Empires IV Season 1 Adding Modding Tools, Ranked Play and More This Spring
Age of Empires IV got off to a great start last year, but fans want more, and now we know what Vancouver-based Relic Entertainment is working on for the game’s next two seasons. spring, will introduce a full suite of modding tools, ranked play, and other quality-of-life improvements. Season 2, coming in summer, will offer another ranked season, remappable entries, and more. Check out the full Season 1 and 2 roadmap below.
Here are a few more details on what to expect from Seasons 1 and 2 of Age of Empires IV:
- Age of Empires IV (beta) content editor and mods. We are excited to launch this new adventure and allow creators to create and share their own content with the whole community! The content editor is a robust tool, and we’ve all seen in the past that the sky’s the limit with modding. Alongside the editor, we’ll be showcasing a number of in-house mods and tutorials to get you started. Although the content editor is launching in beta, it will remain permanently available after the start of the first season, and we will seek to build relationships with our modding community to better guide the future of the tool alongside the Game.
- The 1v1 ranked ladder. You can learn more about this game mode, levels and more here. We would also like to thank those of you who participated in the preview of this feature in January. We’ve made some small changes to the system, including refining our map list and aligning level numbers and images in a more intuitive way.
- Keyboard shortcut improvements. The first season brings the following notable improvements to the hotkey system:
- Additional categories in the hotkeys menu have been added to allow players to quickly navigate between various functions and update input speeds.
- We’ve added the ability to bind hotkeys to mice 3, 4, and 5.
- Quickly enable or disable cgroup exclusivity, or use any number of new hotkeys to add or remove a unit from a cgroup.
- Players will be able to bind other commands to the “ALT” and “Shift” keys.
- New global hotkeys allow players to quickly find idle villagers, cycle through structures, and more.
- Quality of life improvements such as Global Build Queue, Patrol movement, random civ selection in the lobby, and full post-game map reveal.
- MegaRandom is coming to Age of Empires IV, as well as in-house mods, a new Art of War challenge, difficulty tuning across a variety of campaign missions, and more!
- Season 2 rated. You can expect Ranked Season scaling updates alongside the refresh. We will look to develop this feature taking your feedback into account.
- Fully remappable inputs. As mentioned above, we want to make sure the game offers the kind of flexibility and customization you’ve been asking for.
- card voting system. We are aware that the desire to play certain cards is strongly influenced by the game mode, the presence of water, etc. In the near future, we will be looking to introduce an in-game system that gives players more control over which cards they end up with during matches.
- Player color picker. We’ve seen this feature request appear on a number of sites – from chats during our developer streams to our official forums and more. While we designed the current system to provide consistent colors based on individual, team, or opponent, we recognize that the player color picker allows for significant customization.
Age of Empires IV is now available on PC. Season 1 is expected to debut in April.